Advice to the Homeowner
After a substantial storm hits, Storm Chasing Contractors and Installers will come from all over the United States to capitalize on the Insurance related work. Frequently, many of these contractors leave town with unfinished work or with the insurance checks in hand without any or all of the work having been performed or completed.
There are firms that rent roofing licenses from local companies in order to pull the necessary permits to install jobs. They have mastered cutting corners on materials and material quality as well as short cutting all quality installation techniques. Most of these out-of-state companies, sales reps and installers will leave at a moment’s notice for the next big storm in another state.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR TO ENSURE YOU ARE NOT WORKING WITH A STORM CHASER
- Look for Out-of-State License Plates
- Ask to See Driver's Licenses
- Listen for an Accent that is NOT Local
- Verify Copy of License, Insurance & Bonding Paperwork
- Research the firm with the Illinois Attorney General's Office